The REDD+ Academy is a coordinated REDD+ capacity development initiative led by the UN-REDD Programme and the UNEP Environmental Education and Training Unit, which seeks to match the scale of the global climate change mitigation challenge and enable systematic, focused capacity development to deliver REDD+ on the ground.
The development of the REDD+ Academy responds to needs expressed by UN-REDD Programme partner countries for a regionally focused education initiative for those involved in national REDD+ programmes.
What you will learn
After completing the course Fundamentals on REDD+, you will be able to:
- Explain the role of deforestation and forest degradation in the process of climate change;
- Define REDD+ aspects in the context of the UNFCCC;
- Explain the importance of analysing and prioritizing direct and indirect drivers of deforestation and forest degradation;
- Explain the relationship between policies and measures (PAMs) and the five REDD+ activities;
- Describe the process of developing a National REDD+ Strategy or Action Plan;
- Identify the variety of perceptions of REDD+ finance in each of the three REDD+ phases.
The coure at a glance
The course on Fundamentals on REDD+ is structured around six modules. The first three modules present a general introduction on the topic. The last three modules present various REDD+ elements which are required under the UNFCCC and how to prepare and implement REDD+ at the national level, including what financial resources are available.
- Forest, Carbon Sequestration and Climate Change;
- Understanding REDD+ and the UNFCCC;
- Drivers of Deforestation and Forest Degradation;
- Policies and Measures for REDD+ Implementation;
- National Strategies and Action Plans; 6. REDD+ Finance.
The quizzes can be completed at any time. They assess the achievement of the learning objectives for each module. Each quiz can be attempted a maximum of three times. Passing a quiz with at least 70% rewards learners with a badge associated to the specific module. Once the six quizzes are passed, and learners obtain all the six badges available, they can download a certificate of completion from the course home page.
The modules have been developed and peer-reviewed by UN-REDD and UN CC:Learn.