Climate change poses a significant threat to the socio-economic development of developing countries and may undermine the chances of meeting poverty reduction challenges. In this regard, the potential impacts of climate change must be systematically considered in social and economic policies, development projects and international aid efforts in order to build climate-resilient development. However, for developing countries, the integration of climate change into the development planning process still represents a major challenge.
This course developed by the AGRHYMET Regional Center (CRA) as part of the Climate Change and Sustainable Development Master’s Program (CCSD) offers students the opportunity to revisit key concepts of climate change and to master all the essential steps of the process of integrating climate change into development policies and budgetary planning in order to promote the implementation of priority adaptation and mitigation actions.
This training module provides clear, concise and up-to-date information for anyone interested in gaining a comprehensive understanding on how to integrate climate change into development policies at the national, sectoral and local levels.
What you will learn
The objective of this course is to train high-level managers who will be able to valorize and capitalize on knowledge on climate science for impact, vulnerability and adaptation studies in the face of CC, and to support the integration of the CC dimension into national, regional and local development policies and strategies.
Course at a Glance
This course is composed of four (4) lessons and a quiz:
- Understanding climate change and its links to development: this lesson provides an introduction to the relationship between climate change and development.
- Integrating climate change into national, sectoral and local policies: this lesson reviews all the processes involved in integrating climate change into policies at the national, sectoral and local levels.
- Integrating climate change into the budget process: this lesson explains the entry points and key steps for integrating climate change into national budget formulation.
- Integrating climate change into the monitoring and evaluation system: this lesson discusses the contours of monitoring and evaluation of climate change actions. The key concepts of monitoring and evaluation are first defined.
- Quiz: A final quiz assessing the knowledge gained during the course. The quiz contains 10 questions.
Partners and contributors
This e-learning course was designed to provide answers to key questions about mainstreaming climate change into development policies and strategies. This training module was developed by the CRA. The e-learning format of this course was developed by the CRA with the coaching of UNITAR in the framework of UN CC:Learn.