Development and Pilot-Testing of the Guidance Note
The Guidance Note has been developed with valuable input from members of the UN CC:Learn Steering Group, international experts and discussions at several international and regional meetings/workshops. It builds on the experiences of nine national projects and a regional programme aimed at strengthening human resource capacities and skills to address climate change.
Target Groups of the Guidance Note
This Guidance Note responds both to the UNFCCC Doha Work Programme which mandates States to prepare a national strategy on Article 6 of the Convention (which deals with climate change education, training and public awareness-raising) and to the request of more than 40 countries which have expressed interest in developing a National Climate Change Learning Strategy.
Potential users include:
- Decision-makers in government interested in understanding the process and benefits of developing a National Climate Change Learning Strategy;
- Technical staff in Ministries or other institutions responsible for organizing the process of developing a National Climate Change Learning Strategy;
- National NDC and NAP focal points;
- Representatives of education and training institutions as well as non-governmental organizations and women’s groups involved in the development and implementation of a National Climate Change Learning Strategy;
- Representatives of the private sector (e.g. employers’ organizations and trade unions);
- Interested citizens.
How to Use the Guidance Note
The Guidance Note is structured as follows:
- Why Develop a Climate Change Learning Strategy? – This section presents a conceptual framework for the development of a National Climate Change Learning Strategy.
- Designing a Climate Change Learning Strategy – This section explains the process of developing a National Climate Change Learning Strategy.
- Practical Guide – This section suggests specific activities, including logistical and organizational considerations, that can facilitate the development of a National Climate Change Learning Strategy.
- Planning and Implementation Resources – This section includes recommendations that can help to bolster the effectiveness of each countries’ National Climate Change Learning Strategy.
Users are encouraged to consider the suggestions provided in this note, taking into account national needs and circumstances. The Guidance Note focuses on the national scale, but the methodologies proposed can be also adapted for regional and local levels also.