e-Course on Urbanization and Inclusive Economic Growth
8 Apr 2019 to 26 May 2019 | Online
The course is free and will be moderated on a weekly basis and participants are required to participate in the weekly online discussions. In addition, each module has interactive lessons that provide the core content around the topic for that module. A United Nations African Institute of Economic Development and Planning certificate will be delivered to participants who will pass all the tests and exams.
At the end of the course, participants will have an enhanced understanding of the role of urbanization in Africa’s transformation, in line with Agenda 2063 and the SDGs.
Specifically, participants will be able to:
- Identify the key concepts, trends and conditions of urbanization in Africa and how they impact the continent;
- Identify the challenges and opportunities for Africa in terms of utilizing the continent’s rapid urban growth for accelerating economic transformation;
- Understand the policy measures needed to take advantage of Africa’s rapid urban growth can boost job creation in the manufacturing sector;
- Discuss the main barriers for African cities to be productive, competitive and job-rich and how to address them through deliberate policies and strategies;
- Examine how deliberate planning can result in a balanced system of cities and adequate urban form in a manner that enables industrialization;
- Understand the potential of African cities to boost domestic resource mobilization, if they are well planned and managed;
- Discuss how African countries can strengthen the urban component of national development planning and visioning to harness urban growth for economic transformation
For registration, access here: https://www.uneca.org/urbanidep
Language(s): English and French