The Ministry of Economic Planning and Development is coordinating the UN CC:Learn Project in Malawi in cooperation with the new Ministry of Environment and Climate Change Management.
UN Support to Address Climate Change in Malawi
The UN in Malawi is coordinating its support for climate change activities through a Climate Change Joint Programme Team. A One UN Fund has been established to simplify funding and reporting.
Agencies active in the area of climate change in Malawi include inter alia:
- The UN Development Programme (UNDP) assists the government through the National Climate Change Programme to respond to emerging development challenges posed by climate change.
- The UN Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) is active in the area of climate-smart agriculture.
- The UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is working on addressing the impacts of climate change on children.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) is working on the interface of climate change and health, including support for a vulnerability and adaptation assessment.
- The World Bank is supporting projects related to climate finance and low-emission development.