The National Council on Climate Change and Clean Development Mechanism is coordinating the UN CC:Learn Project in the Dominican Republic.
UN Support to Address Climate Change in the Dominican Republic
The United Nations Development Action Framework (UNDAF) 2012–2016 established the road map for the cooperation between the Government and the UN system in the Dominican Republic. Climate Change has been incorporated in the framework of the environmental sustainability and risk management area.
Several UN agencies in the Dominican Republic are supporting climate change related activities.
- The UN Development Programme (UNDP) is supporting multiple projects which include:
i) Preparation of the third National Communication to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
ii) Implementation of the Green, Low-Emission and Climate-Resilient Development Strategy
iii) Implementation of the National REDD Programme and the Green Border Project which promotes reforestation of the border between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. This project is implemented by UNDP in partnership with the UN Environmental Programme (UNEP) and the World Food Programme (WFP)
iv) Development of the rural electrification programme using renewable energy sources
v) Implementation of adaptation measures in vulnerable areas
- The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) are leading activities for improving soil resilience to climate change variability and reducing greenhouse gas emissions from farm lands.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) in Dominican Republic is active in the area of climate change and food security
- The International Labor Organization (ILO) has been providing technical support to technical and vocational education and training institutions (TVET), for developing learning standards and curricula for green jobs
- The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) provides assistance for integrating disaster risk reduction into education
- The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) is working on population dynamics, migration and climate change