UN Support to Address Climate Change in Benin
Several UN agencies in Benin are supporting climate change related activities:
- The UN Development Programme (UNDP) is supporting agricultural communities to better adapt to climate change in four particularly vulnerable areas in Benin. The project is part of the implementation of Benin’s National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA).
- UNDP is also collaborating with the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) to support the integration of climate change issues in secondary education under the CC DARE project.
- The World Bank is supporting a number of projects in the energy sector to reduce the use of coal and promote climate-friendly energy sources.
- The World Food Programme (WFP) in Benin is active in the area of climate change and food security.
- The United Nations University (UNU) is promoting climate change research in the region through the West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use (WASCAL). The University of Abomey-Calavi in Cotonou is part of the programme.