12 June 2014. Strengthening the capacities of individuals, organizations and institutions is key to plan and implement effective ways to mitigate and adapt to climate change. In order to provide information on capacity-building programmes and projects taking place in developing countries, the Secretariat of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) launched a new Capacity-Building Portal during a UNFCCC side event held on 10 June 2014 at the Bonn Climate Change Conference.
The multifaceted global community interested in capacity-building activities can use the search results in various ways, such as:
- having a quick overview of the type of capacity-building support provided at the global, regional and country level, and according to the predefined list of 15 priority areas for capacity-building in developing countries listed in decision 2/CP.7;
- tracking specific project activities and programmes;
- identifying and building on best practices;
- identifying potential gaps in the delivery of capacity-building;
- accessing information on stakeholders involved, funding sources and amounts allocated;
- improving coordination of capacity-building support, including by identifying duplications of efforts; and
- identifying possible cooperation partners.
In the platform default view, all developing countries are highlighted; the shades of grey indicate the density in number of implemented projects per country stored in the database. A pie chart shows worldwide distribution of projects by priority area.
The platform includes a basic search and an advanced search. Using the basic search, by hovering over a country, users can see the number of implemented projects stored in the database; by clicking on a country, users can see the list of implemented projects stored in the database, as well as their details. Options to print and export the data are also available. When clicking on a country, the corresponding pie chart will change to show the distribution of projects in that country by priority area.
Through the advanced search, users can narrow their search by choosing among the following search criteria:
- Parties (at the moment, only developing countries are available as search option)
- Priority Area (focus on one of the15 priority areas)
- Location (view capacity-building projects at the following levels: 1) global (projects applicable to all countries, such as official documents, publications, etc); 2) by region: Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Eastern Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean; 3) by country (non-Annex I Parties)).
More statistics with different focus are available in the ‘Statistics’ section of the header.
The current version of the Capacity-Building Portal is a springboard for a more ambitious project. The goal is to create a multifunctional tool which:
- hosts information on capacity-building activities updated every year;
- contains a new module with data and search functions for capacity-building support provided to countries with economies in transition;
- avails of data extracted from various sources (national communications, technology needs assessments, etc);
- enables users to choose among wider categories of search results, narrow their searches, get quickly to the answers and store them in a personal library; and
- allows for direct entry of capacity-building related information by intergovernmental organizations.
For further information please contact CapacityBuildingPortal@unfccc.int or visit: http://unfccc.int/cooperation_and_support/capacity_building/items/7204.php