The National Climate Change Learning Strategy
Uganda’s Minister of Water and Environment (MWE), H.E. Prof. Ephraim Kamuntu launched the National Strategy and Action Plan to Strengthen Human Resources and Skills to Advance Green Low Emission and Climate Resilient Development 2013-2022 on 28 June 2013, Kampala, Uganda.
The Strategy includes a number of key recommendations to strengthen climate change learning in Uganda over the next decade, including:
- Build capacity and strengthen the UNFCCC National Focal Point for Uganda (Climate Change Unit, MWE).
- Strengthen human resources and skills in the Department of Meteorology for climate change monitoring.
- Strengthen skills for mainstreaming climate change in other key sectors such as agriculture, water, and energy.
- Support on-going efforts to integrate climate change learning in curricula from the primary to the tertiary level.
- Assess the impacts of climate change learning.
- Harmonize climate change learning among different institutions and levels.
The Strategy will be implemented through the institutional mechanism that has been set up under the National Climate Change Policy of Uganda.