16 May 2013. In order to address climate change in Africa, it is important to consider the latest developments in the carbon market and discuss how the Clean Development Mechanism (CDM) and other mitigation mechanisms can be successful in the continent. In an effort to promote sharing of relevant knowledge and experience, the UN Development Programme (UNDP), the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) secretariat, the World Bank, the International Emissions Trading Association (IETA) and the African Development Bank (AfDB) are organizing the Africa Carbon Forum (ACF) 2013. This event will take place from 3-5 July 2013 in Abidjan, Ivory Coast, and will bring together 800 participants.
The ACF is an annual conference dedicated to the development of low carbon development in Africa and, as a result, can help practitioners and policy makers to meet this demand. It is also hosting an exhibition providing international organizations, governments and private companies to present and showcase their projects, services and technologies. It is, above all, an opportunity for practitioners and policy makers to learn about the latest international and national policies and operational issues in the area of development and climate change and the use of carbon finance.
The ACF connects African project developers with foreign investors and carbon market representatives, as it encourages the engagement of the African continent in the global trading process. Participants at the Forum can expect to:
- Be updated on recent developments in the international carbon market and new challenges associated with global climate change;
- Participate in discussions between project developers and technical specialists in a wide range of sectors and technologies on best practices and lessons learned for the implementation of CDM projects in Africa;
- Attend sessions with experts from the public and private sector on strategies and measures promoting the benefits of the CDM in Africa emphasizing the new Programmatic CDM approach;
- Be given opportunities to showcase CDM projects to private sector representatives in matchmaking and deal facilitation sessions; and;
- Build networks and find partners throughout the Forum.